Flat Shaped Plastic Glass
Acrylic shaped glass can be cut easily just by snapping and filing but it is time consuming to do well. Things to bare in mind is the thickness of the plastic and because of it flexing it will never be water resistant. Always inform your customers first
- Remove movement
- Clean watch casing of all old glue
- Rectangular glass can be marked with vernier calipers.
Other shapes place the glass over the the watch casing and score with a scalpel the shape of the new glass. I mark out 2 sides first then file these to fit before marking the other sides
- File plastic to the lines you have marked. The moment the line disappears is when to stop. A bench top grinder can be used for big amounts of cutting but you cant beat a good file for accuracy
- Test fit your glass and bit by bit file it so it fits in the casing loosely without any visible gap. the glass should not move in the casing yet should fall out when tied up.
- Polish any marks off the glass with jewellers rouge or Brasso
- Remove any sharp edges
- Glue in casing with epoxy resin
Here is one i prepared earlier. I Took photos as i went along and I’ll explain each step. There is a twist too it has a flat bottom but a curved top.